Sanitrox Product Overview
Sanitrox is a unique food and drink sanitiser combining completely natural organic compounds from oranges, natural bioflavonoids and organic acids.
It is a 100% natural organic product, non-toxic, environmentally friendly and naturally biodegradable yet it possesses the ability to kill bacteria, viruses and fungi far more effectively than conventional products. Its effects last longer, it leaves a fresh aroma, breaks down biofilms AND removes dirt and grease.
Sanitrox can be used across the whole of the food and drink supply chain, from farm to fork. It has been actively used in the food and drink supply chain for over ten years, where its effectiveness, low cost and ease of use has revolutionised the transporting of foods and drink across the UK.
- Manufactured using only naturally derived, plant based ingredients
- Completely biodegradable, safe and eco-friendly
- Easy to handle. Non-harmful to humans, animals & the environment
- Does not contain any allergic substances
- Does not contain any synthetic fragrances or colourants
- Not tested on animals
- GMO free
- Effective in very low concentration
- Easily diluted in ambient temperature water
- Food Safe; all ingredients have GRAS numbers
- Broad-spectrum of antimicrobial activity; against gram-positive, gram-negative bacteria, viruses, moulds, yeast and fungi
- Powerful natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
- Breaks down biofilm to reach pathogenic organisms
- Non-hazardous to operators and the environment:
- Non-toxic, non-carcinogenic, non-mutagenic, non-allergenic and non-corrosive.
- Dermatologically tested – suitable for use on sensitive skin
- Non-tainting and does not change the flavour of any food or product
- Odourless and colourless (at specified concentration)
- Stable and non-volatile even when exposed to light
- Effective even in the presence of organic matter, i.e. biofilm
- Fast-acting with long residual effect
- Removes the possibility of cross-contamination due to a prolonged active lifespan
- Application slows decomposition, meaning that shelf life can be extended by at least 20%
What is Sanitrox made from?
Sanitrox is an orange-based food and drink sanitiser. It combines pith and peel from oranges with natural bioflavonoids and organic acids.
The natural bioflavonoids are Neohesperidin, Naringin, Poncirin and Rhiofolen.
The organic fruit acids are Malic, Citric, Ascorbate and Lactic.
It is this completely unique combination of a natural formulae and wide range of efficacy which puts it significantly ahead of other products in the marketplace, far surpassing legacy products such as chlorine and hypochlorite.
The Sanitrox Difference
This product is a one-stage high-level multi-surface disinfectant cleaner.
One application kills bacteria, viruses, yeast and fungi spores up to 99.9999% on any surface, destroying harmful bacteria and mycobacteria including MRSA, Salmonella, E.Coli. P. aeruginosa, Listeria and Tuberculosis (TB), spores such as Clostridium Difficile and Bacilis cereus, viruses from Human Flu through to Norovirus and even fungi and yeasts like Aspergillus niger and Candida albicans.
In recent trials with major food supermarket groups, Sanitrox’ patented basic formulae has been identified as “the most effective decontaminant” and is already used in a wide range of applications from post-harvest and food tray protection to the healthcare sector.
Finally, Sanitrox remains effective for up to 30 days. This means that not only is less product required, but re-spraying is also less frequent. As a result, sanitisation audits are easier to schedule and execute, and therefore are more likely to be carried out.
How does Sanitrox work?
The combination of the natural bioflavonoids and organic acids make Sanitrox a potent antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal due its ability to:
- Bind with bacterial cell walls to effect extracellular and soluble proteins through hydrogen bonding which the bacteria and viruses need to survive
- Disrupt the microbial membranes including cell wall polypeptides and membrane-bound enzymes
- The bioflavonoids (hydroxylated phenols) have been shown to be toxic to microorganisms as they effect enzyme inhibition
- The bioflavonoids have been found to stimulate macrophages which have an indirect negative effect on infections
We believe Sanitrox is the most environmentally friendly sanitiser on the market for the following reasons:
- It is a 100% natural product derived from organic waste materials. It leaves no harmful waste or wastewater that would require additional treatment
- It works in ambient temperature water, cutting down on energy requirements
- No need for IBCs thereby reducing transport costs and energy
- Application is not energy intensive and extremely quick to execute
- It has not been tested on animals
- Being a natural product, Sanitrox is non-allergenic and suitable for use on sensitive skin. It does not contain any synthetic fragrances or colourants. It is GMO free
Compliance, testing and endorsements
Sanitrox was approved by DEFRA as a disinfectant in June 2006. Click the following links for more information:
Safety data sheet
Technical data sheet
Results of using Sanitrox against Potato Blight
How using Sanitrox as part of an Ambient Washing Retrofit process has been endorsed by logistic specialists Kuehne+ Nagel
The results of testing with the traditional Greek yoghurt-based salad Tzatziki
The results of using Sanitrox to extend the shelf-life of ground chicken meat and the results of using Sanitrox to extend the shelf-life of tuna fillets
A list of all pathogens that Sanitrox has been certified against
Before and after effect of applying Sanitrox
How to apply Sanitrox
Sanitrox is diluted with water (10ml per litre) and applied directly onto surfaces using misting, fogging or electrostatic machines creating a 360-degree layer of long-lasting protection.
This product is easy to apply. It is fast-acting, fast-drying and can protect surfaces within 90 seconds of application.
Our Sanitrox product can be used on all surfaces, including fabrics and textiles, making it the ideal solution for all vehicles. The cabs of lorries and trailers can be easily and completely sanitised without causing any harmful effects.
You can find out more about our misting machines including electrostatic by clicking here
Main applications for Sanitrox
|Decontaminants and food ingredients
|Fruits, vegetables, beverages, fish, meat, poultry
|Healthcare: actives and ready-too-use products
|Food supplements, skincare, dental care, pharmaceuticals etc
|Crop treatment: nutrient synergists & Phyto-elicitors
|Fruits, vegetables, vines, cereals, flowers, hydroponics, household plants
|Animal feed and drink additives
|Swine, poultry, fish, beef
|Surface cleaners and sanitisers
|Office facilities, medical environments, restaurants, schools, household use
|Personal care: actives and ready-to-use products
|Creams, lotions, shampoos, soaps, gels, deodorants
Why Sanitrox is better than the alternatives
The food and drink sector has to move away from chemical detergents
- Sanitrox is a natural product containing no harmful chemicals. It is non-toxic and non-caustic. This means safer working environments across the food supply chain; for example, if a truck’s cab is misted with Sanitrox then their exposure to harmful pathogens is reduced.
- Since Sanitrox is a natural product, it is de facto halal approved. It has not tested on animals, nor does it contain animal products like other decontamination solutions.
- Being a natural product, Sanitrox is non-allergenic and suitable for use on sensitive skin. It does not contain any synthetic fragrances or colourants. It is GMO free.
- Sanitrox conforms to organic farming standards.
Hygiene standards in the food and drink sector need to improve
- Research into existing detergents such as chlorine have found that there are a number of bacteria and organic substances that have built a Biofilm resistance to the detergent. A recent government-backed study has just started which is being led by three major water authorities and their respective Universities (Glasgow, Leeds and Sheffield). The study will compare the efficacy of chlorine versus Sanitrox.
- Sanitrox will remove the possibility of cross-contamination since it continues to be active for 30 days.
- Due to this longevity after application, bacteria, spores and yeasts are removed so that decomposition doesn’t take place as quickly. Sanitrox can extend shelf life by at least 20%, reducing waste.
- The complex nature of the current sanitising system means that auditing is complicated and costly to enforce. Sanitrox removes this complexity, which in turn makes compliance easier to enforce.
- Sanitrox misting machines are electrostatically operated. The process of misting electrostatically means all surfaces will be cleaned, not simply those that are flat-facing. So, hard-to reach areas such as conveyor belts where there are ‘nooks and crannies’ can be cleaned more effectively. The current use of jet spray and steam spray leads to an overuse of water which ends up as standing water – a potential harbour for bacteria.
The current way of sanitising across the supply chain is environmentally and economically unsustainable
Sanitrox is a zero-heat tray washing solution. Currently, the sector relies on multi-million pound tray washing facilities incorporating industrial heating exchanges. Sanitrox does not need this system; It reduces energy use massively. Indeed, it is estimated that switching to Sanitrox could result in up to 75% reduce gas consumption every year.
The current tray-washing system requires clients to pay for large vats of chemicals.
Using Sanitrox reduces water consumption in two ways:
- The technique used to apply Sanitrox is ‘misting’. This only requires minimal water use, an estimate reduction of 35% per annum.
- Because Sanitrox remains active for up to 30 days, there is a greatly reduced wash cycle.
Sanitisation needs to be more efficient than it is currently
- The current sanitisation system is grossly inefficient. It relies on the use of Intermediate Bulk Container (IBCs) for handling, transport and storage of large amounts of water and chemicals. Sanitrox requires none of these, meaning 100% saving on IBC costs as well as space saving, reduced lead-times and reduced logistical challenges. Sanitrox is dispersed by one person using a misting gun. It is delivered to point of use in a concentrate; the client simply needs to dilute in water and apply.
- The use of Sanitrox means increased longevity of equipment and reduced maintenance costs. There are no gas boilers to service; an even temperature all the way through the process means no heat distortion or repair. There is less corrosion and erosion of machinery.
- Speed of application: Because Sanitrox is misted, it is quick to apply. Set up is straightforward, application is extremely quick and controllable.
- Sanitrox supports the circular environment. When used to clean potatoes, for example, the residue is pH3.5 meaning it can support an anaerobic digestion system. Such a system would include a compost heap accelerator. It will create methane which is used to power fryers, and finally the residue can be used as land compost.
- Moving away from the use of chlorine, for example, brings efficiencies to the import/ export trade which is easily mired in bureaucracy around different countries’ approaches to chemical treatment.
Auditing and compliance control
At Bioshield, we have created a new way for our clients and us to analyse the product’s continued success, reviewing the impact of Sanitrox on the food supply chain each quarter through our new customer portal.
After regularly collating a series of swabs and using an independent laboratory to test the samples, we collate the results online within our customer portal and create a digital audit trail, helping businesses monitor their compliance. This portal generates online reports and ensures rigorous standards are continuously maintained at each site where Sanitrox is used both now and in the future. It will analyse the effectiveness, look for potential antimicrobial resistance, and monitor carbon reduction throughout, among many other examinations.
How long does Sanitrox remain effective for after application?
Sanitrox is longer lasting than most sanitisers on the market. It will remain capable of killing pathogens for up to 30 days. This reduces the reduces the risk of cross-contamination and therefore re-application for the entirety of these 30 days.
Has Sanitrox been tested and certified?
Yes, Sanitrox has been independently tested and certified by a number of professional bodies including DEFRA.
Does Sanitrox contain chemicals?
No, Sanitrox is a 100% natural product. Its main active ingredient comes from oranges; this is then augmented by natural bioflavonoids and organic acids.
Appendix: Pathogens tested
Sanitrox have been tested and certified against the following pathogens:
- Campylobacter jejuni Dipiodia natalensis
- Escherichia coli
- Geotrichum candidium
- Klebsiella pneumonia
- Lactobacillus pentoaceticus
- Legionella pneumophila (NCTC 11192)
- Listeria monocytogenes
- MRSA (clinical strain)
- Mycobacterium fortutium (NCTC 8573)
- Proteus vulgaris
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa (ATCC 15442)
- Human Rhinovirus
- Influenza A
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Urbani SARS (Covid 2)
- African swine fever
- Avian influenza
- Foot & mouth disease
- Gumboro virus
- Herpes virus type 1 & type 2
- Herpes zoster
- Hepatitis A & B
- Newcastle Disease
- Histomonas meleagradis
- Giardia lamblia
- Entamoeaba histolytica
- Blastocystis hominis
Yeast and fungi
- Aspergillus flavus
- Aspergillus niger
- Aspergillus terreus
- Botrytis cinerea
- Candida albicans
- Candida glabrata
- Chaetonium globosum
- Collectotricum sp.
- Fusarium sp.
- Mucor sp.
- Penicillium sp.
- Penicillium digitatum
- Penicillium funiculosum
- Penicillium italicum
- Penicillium roqueforti
- Phomopsis ortl
- Pullularia pullulans
- Pythium sp.
- Trichophyton interdigitale
- Trichophyton mentagrophytes